Habir Russol and Moheb Ullah Borekzai were flown back to Afghanistan from Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, on July 18 and said they had been wrongly accused of being members of the Taliban.
“Right now, 180 Afghan prisoners are not eating or drinking,” Mr Russol told reporters after arriving in Afghanistan.
“Some of the prisoners are sick and there is no medical treatment for them,” he added.
Mr Borekzai explained the hunger strike, which has apparently entered its 14th or 15th day, started because some detainees said “they were mistreated during interrogation. Some said they are innocent.”
“They are protesting that they have been in jail nearly four years and they want to be released.”
The claims follow comments made by American lawyer Neil Koslowe who visited Guantanamo Bay from June 20 to 24.
Mr Koslowe is representing 12 detainees from Kuwait and said he was told by several inmates that there was a ‘widespread’ hunger strike over the amount and quality of water they received.
The lawyer said prisoners were given three small bottles of purified water a month, but that it was not enough in Cuba’s hot climate.
Mr Koslowe said some inmates have claimed that water had been taken away from those found breaking detention rules.
With the release of the two Afghan prisoners, about 520 detainees remain at Guantanamo Bay, including Australian David Hicks.
Mr Hicks is one of four detainees to be formally charged by the US military after he was captured in Afghanistan in 2001.
This week during a visit to the US, Australian Prime Minister John Howard received advice from the US Secretary of Defence Donald Rumsfeld that proceedings would be sped up to try the four charged prisoners after the hearings were backed by a US appeals court.
But Mr Hick’s US military lawyer, Major Michael Mori, has asked for more time to prepare for the military commission hearing, which is due to start within the next two months.