The edict came as six men were arrested under Britain’s anti-terror law in the northern city of Leeds, which has been a focus of the investigation into the bombings.
However West Yorkshire police said the men are not believed to be involved in the bombings, but gave no explanation for the arrests.
“At this stage, these arrests are not being linked to the incidents in London. However we are working closely with officers from the Metropolitan Police anti-terrorism branch as part of this inquiry,” another police spokeswoman said.
In Birmingham, Jama’at e Ahl e Sunnat, or the Sunni Council, said the bombings were against Islam, adding that any type of suicide attack was against the Koran.
“Who has given anyone the right to kill others? It is a sin. Anyone who commits suicide will be sent to hell,” said Mufti Muhammad Gul Rehman Qadri, the council’s chairman.
“What happened in London can be seen as a sacrilege. It is a sin to take your life or the life of others.”
The council also targeted terror groups who influence others to do their bidding in the fatwa.
“Leaving aside the atrocities being committed in Palestine and Iraq, the attacks in London have no Islamic justification, are totally condemned and we equally condemn those who may have been behind the masterminding of these acts, those who incited these youths in order to further their own perverted ideology,” the group’s fatwa said.
Meanwhile British Defence Secretary John Reid said religious schools in Pakistan were contributing to terrorism, amid reports that one of the alleged London suicide bombers attended so-called madrassas there.
One of the suspected bombers, 22-year-old Shahzad Tanweer, a Briton of Pakistani ancestry who allegedly blew himself up on a London subway train, is believed to have visited two religious schools on a trip to Pakistan.
Pakistani intelligence agents have questioned students, teachers and administrators at the school in central Lahore, and at least two other radical Islamic centres, armed with pictures and a dossier on Tanweer.
The Sunday Times has reported that another suspected attacker, 30-year-old Mohammad Sidique Khan, was scrutinised last year by MI5, Britain’s domestic secret service, but was not regarded as a threat to national security or put under surveillance.
MI5 reportedly began evaluating Khan during an inquiry that focused on an alleged plot to explode a large truck bomb outside a target in London thought to be a nightclub in Soho, the newspaper said.
The private inquiry reportedly evaluated hundreds of potential suspects.
The July 7 bombings killed at least 55 people on three underground trains and a double-decker bus and have prompted the government to propose new legislation outlawing “indirect incitement” of terrorism, including praising those who carry out attacks.